Friday, May 22, 2009

Belly pic: 28 weeks

Happy third trimester to me! I've officially made it to the land of increasing discomfort. Yippee! I had an OB appointment today (I'll be having them every 2 weeks now) and things look great, although apparently I'm measuring large for where I'm supposed to be. That could mean lots of things: there's too much amniotic fluid (which would bring another host of issues...but we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it), I have gestational diabetes which is causing the baby to grow too quickly, the baby is still breech and floating higher in my belly than it normally would, the baby is stretched out, or the baby is simply a very large baby. Personally, I'm hoping for option 4: the baby is stretched out and taking up lots of room. I'll be doing an ultrasound sometime in the next 10 days, so we'll find out for sure what's going on then. In the meantime, I feel better knowing that I actually AM larger and more unwieldy this time around -- it's not just in my head.

I also had the dreaded 1-hr GTT (glucose tolerance test) this morning to find out if I need to go back next week for the even more dreaded 3-hr GTT, which would in turn determine if I do in fact have gestational diabetes. I'm not feeling very optimistic about it, but there's always a chance that the Metformin I've been taking has been working its magic and I don't have GD! However, I plan to enjoy a weekend full of noodles, banana bread, fruit, and other diabetic no-nos before I get my results back from Dr. H.

Here's my belly pic at 28 weeks. Even though I actually look bigger in the picture from 2007, the measurement of belly "largeness" is the height from the top of my pubic bone to the top of my uterus, not the sticky-outedness of my belly (and yes, "sticky-outedness" is the correct medical terminology). You can see in today's picture that the top of my belly is much higher than it was with hilltot.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I am attributing the difference in belly size/shape to baby's gender. This one must be a girl, and everyone knows girls are just generally more difficult, which is why she is making your belly bigger. Its probably on purpose. Naughty baby.