Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Share" is not in baby's vocabulary

Seems that babyhill is taking after hilltot in the "sharing" category. See, while I'm growing a baby, I share all of my nutrients (and energy) with the baby. In fact, the baby takes everything first, and I get whatever is left over. It's nature's way of making sure the baby is taken care of, with the assumption that if I need more nutrients for myself I will find a way to get them.

The problem is that I started off with a deficiency in certain things, especially red blood cells and iron. Now that babyhill is proving to be at least a gazillion times the size of hilltot, he/she is taking more iron than I have to give. I've been taking iron supplements throughout the pregnancy but my body still can't keep up. My anemia is becoming more and more symptomatic, which includes heart palpitations, shortness of breath, and faintness in addition to the regular fatigue. Since it would take 2-3 months for any additional iron supplementation to take effect, there's not really anything we can do about it now.

I ended up in the ER on Friday because of shortness of breath and faintness. We didn't need to check babyhill -- luckily the baby handles all of this quite well -- but Dr. H wanted them to check my heart and lungs and to make sure I didn't have a blood clot. I got an EKG and chest x-ray along with a barrage of blood tests, and I'm glad that they were so thorough and everything checked out. Now at least we know my heart and lungs are OK when I'm feeling like this! And I guess this is pretty much how it's going to be until babyhill makes his/her debut.

I can handle another 4-6 weeks of this though. Hear that, babyhill? I don't mind -- you stay nice and comfy in there and I'll manage things out here. Deal?

No comments: