Monday, March 9, 2009

Update

Well, Dr. H didn't tell me that everything is an elaborate joke and we actually have nothing to worry about at all, but she did make me feel a little better about things. As I mentioned in my last post, we will have a fetal echo cardiogram to check the baby's heart at 22 weeks and I will have multiple growth ultrasounds to make sure the baby is developing normally. Otherwise, we wait and see. Dr. H did say that maybe I have such rough pregnancies in order to balance our perfect babies. I like that idea.

While waiting to see Dr. H, I overheard another patient talking to her OB about the results of her gestational diabetes test. She tested positive on the 3-hr glucose tolerance test and was being referred to the Joslin Diabetes Center for treatment. I was feeling compassion for her, as I remember when I received the same news during my last pregnancy. Then I heard her say, "No. I won't go. I'll be fine." Her OB tried to convince her that she really needs to manage her gestational diabetes in order to have a safe pregnancy and healthy baby, but the woman refused.

At one level I was amazed that someone would not want to do whatever it takes to have a healthy pregnancy. And at the same time, I was thinking, "You can just say no?"

No comments: