Thursday, February 19, 2009

The itchy-scratchy show

Another pleasant side-effect of pregnancy: the itchies. If you are susceptible to dry skin or eczema, pregnancy can apparently invite outbreaks. I am susceptible to both, and I have just entered the itchy-scratchy phase. Last time it was the backs of my knees and calves, which I scratched so much they bled and then eventually scarred over (they have since returned to their normal state). This time it's the front of my left knee, my ankles, my left forearm and my right wrist. I am trying really hard not to scratch them (I have a variety of lotions stashed in every bag and room in the house), but I feel like it's a losing battle. I can't remember when the itching stopped last time...I just hope it's soon. For some reason, I get funny looks when I yank my pant leg up and frantically scratch my knee.

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but both times the itchies started while I was in Colorado. Maybe the dry air there causes the outbreak? Whatever, I can't think too much about it now. Must go scratch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh...I'm so sorry! No fun at all! Here's to the fabulousness that is Cetaphil...the cream, not the sissy lotion. (It is the only thing for my itchy, scratchy, eczema'd middle kid)

Tarik Saleh said...

Of course it is Colorado. This whole desert southwest is an itch/cracked hands/bloody nose fiesta. I think we are at 15-20% relative humidity all this week for the low, which I think is during the day. I have been itchy since I left TN. Also I caught it from Elena when she was pregnant.

stella said...

hey patti! i feel your itchy pain. i had terribly itchy skin during my pregnancy - i think in the 2nd trimester. oatmeal baths were my savior. london yardley oatmeal soap which helped too. good luck!