Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Horse pills

Anyone who has had to take prenatal vitamins knows that they are NOT fun. They are the size of horse pills, hard to swallow, and tend to make you feel pretty icky. It took me awhile to get used to them when I started taking them, but even after getting used to them, I still dread taking them. And I have been taking them for almost THREE YEARS STRAIGHT. With my doctor's recommendation, I started taking them when we decided we were ready to try having a baby. As instructed, I took them while trying to get pregnant, throughout my pregnancy and while nursing hilltot. We were ready to try for #2 at that point, so I continued to take them and I've been taking them throughout this pregnancy. That's a total of 33 months so far. And I have another 6 months of pregnancy and, if all goes well, another year of nursing to go. At the end of this, I will have taken a daily stomach-churning horse pill sized vitamin for over 50 months. I can't believe cokeheads take them by choice to try to keep their hair from falling out and fingernails from peeling off. It will be a happy day when I can put those pills away for good!

2 comments:

Elena said...

Don't we know any chemists who can coat the pills with something better than the natural flavor? Come on! Lemon? Sugar? Freakin' mint???

You look great, by the way, so they must be doing something!!!

Best wishes!!! And seriously, let's think about inventing a new prenatal vitamin.

Kristy Mouti said...

I've been taking them for years because they're supposed to be good for hair and nails. I'm not a cokehead. They used to make me sick but I got around that by taking them at night before going to bed. That way, if I feel nauseated, I'm asleep and don't even know it!