Thursday, July 9, 2009

Still calm!

I had my 35-week check-up and NST today, and everything looks really great! Babyhill was super active during the NST, but I didn't have any contractions at all while I was on the machine! Of course, I had four contractions while I was having my check-up, but that's just because I was moving around. I had one every time I had to lie down (to get my belly measured and for a quick ultrasound amniotic fluid check) and get back up again.

My belly is measuring right on target and the amniotic fluid is still good (20cm, which is still high normal). Since babyhill measured in the 80th percentile at my last ultrasound and is performing so well during NSTs, Dr. H decided we don't need to do another ultrasound growth check. The reason for the growth checks is to make sure that the baby is not suffering from IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) due to the single umbilical artery, and this baby is clearly not having trouble with being too small.

In fact, Dr H asked me to think about where I would draw the line for having a VBAC -- would I consider another c-section if this baby is measuring 9 or 10 lbs? She said since my hips are pretty narrow, it might be difficult (or impossible) for a large baby to fit through. However, the external and internal dimensions of my hips aren't necessarily the same, so it could be fine. I'm still planning on a VBAC, but if we start venturing into the 10+ lb range, I might rethink things.

Another thing we are considering is having a doula during the birth. Dr. H is very supportive of that idea, saying that doulas have been shown to quite drastically reduce the chance of having a c-section. For several reasons, I have some fears around this birth that I didn't have last time -- mainly that the baby will not do well in labor. At the same time, I very much want to have a VBAC, both for personal/emotional reasons and because the recovery is so much easier. I can't imagine trying to take care of both a newborn and hilltot while recovering from abdominal surgery. What I am worried about is that I will panic during labor (due to my fears of the baby not tolerating labor) and will jump to having a repeat c-section. I don't want my possibly unfounded fears to cause me to decide to have an unnecessary c-section.

So, a doula. This is someone who is trained in labor and delivery, whose main focus is to support me, and who can calm me down and keep me focused on what I need to do. Although Dr. H understands my fears and promises that she will "talk me off the ledge" if necessary during labor, she said that she might not be the doctor delivering me and a doula would ensure that I get the support I need no matter who is there. Everyone I've known who used a doula has said they wouldn't ever do it differently -- the doula made the experience so much easier for both the mom and the dad by allowing them to focus on the important stuff while she took care of the details. That sounds pretty good to me.

Anyone out there have recommendations for a Seattle doula who is experienced with VBACs?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I just happened to run across your blog...obviously as a doula I think you should get one ;-) but I DEFINITELY encourage a doula for VBACs!

I wish I had a recommendation (I don't know any doulas out in Seattle although I know there are plenty!) but your local ICAN chapter could be a great resource: http://icanseattle.wordpress.com/about/ They should know who's experienced with VBAC and have recommendations.

Good luck! :-)

Deborah said...

Yay for still calm! If only the toddlers would be calm. The offer for nanny help with Z on Mon-Wed, is still there if you need it.

Stefany said...

10 lbs!?! That is bigger than Ana is at 10 weeks!

Also, a friend of mine just finished her doula training and said she recommends her trainer, Sharon Muza. I guess she is a VBAC doula who has done it herself. http://www.newmoonbirth.com/

Good luck!! Only a few weeks to go!